and consider them in everything you do
Typical Shifts: Various
Salary Range: Competitive
Customers are at the heart of everything we do. And the one time they’re most likely to engage face-to-face with Tesco is when chatting at the checkout, or asking for help on the store floor. That means, if you become a Customer Assistant, you’ll be right at the heart of our in store customer experience.
It’s a chance to put your abilities to the test, showing that ‘Every little helps’ by doing your bit, with a friendly, flexible approach, to make a difference to the things that matter for our customers.
There are lots of different roles on offer: from the store floor or checkouts to becoming a Personal Shopper, as well as the opportunity to train to become a skilled baker or work in the customer cafe. If you have the passion and commitment to succeed, this can be a fantastic career opportunity.
You’ll be someone who gets on with people and works well in a team, while being ready to roll up your sleeves and do what’s needed to give our customers great service.
We’ll be depending on you, as the face of Tesco, to put our customers at the heart of everything you do:
• Get to know your customers, greet them with a smile and serve them with pride
• Take time to listen, and help out wherever you can: ‘Every little helps’
• Make decisions that are right for our customers
• Be passionate and knowledgeable about our products and services
• Always be there, on time and properly presented
We also need you to:
• Handle the products carefully to keep everything in tip-top condition
• Stick to our Health and Safety policies
• Help us be more efficient by saving on time, products and energy
• Talk to colleagues, sharing your enthusiasm and helping to create team spirit
• Act quickly to do what’s right, while being open to change at the store
• Have the energy and drive to be your best – and exceed expectations
• Share ideas with your manager and colleagues on how we can make the store even better
It takes lots of different people to run a store and this is a job for doers, with plenty of variety. Within one shift you could be guiding a customer to a product, serving on the checkouts, helping to fill shelves, taking a delivery or moving stock around the warehouse.
There are also lots of different types of roles on offer, including checkout, store floor and counter roles, picking or delivering home shopping or training up to become a skilled baker. Whatever the specific job you apply for, you’ll also get the chance to try your hand at different tasks, depending on where we need your help.
Our roles are very flexible, with shift patterns for every lifestyle: you can choose to work full-time, part-time, day or night depending on the positions available.
And, of course, you’ll spend plenty of time face-to-face with our customers, who may need you to help out in all kinds of different ways.
It’s a committed role, full of everyday challenges, but that’s one of the things that makes it so rewarding.
• Your manager
• Your colleagues
• Your customers
To apply for a job with us you have to want to put customers first. You don’t need to have experience or qualifications – just a genuine belief that you can make a difference to the people you’ll be serving every day.
There are some practical things to think about when applying to be a Customer Assistant. You’ll need:
To work in the Beers, Wines and Spirits Department you must be at least 18 years of age.
To apply you’ll need to complete a questionnaire. If you’re successful the next stage is an interview.
Find out more about our application process.
Find out more about the career path a job at Tesco will set you on.
Find out more about Ben's role as a Customer Assistant
Find people you may know.
Find jobs near you.
Shire Park, Kestrel Way
Welwyn Garden City
T: +44 (0) 800 505555
© Tesco 2015