The Black Asian Minority Ethnic (BAME) network is run by colleagues, for colleagues. It aims to give ethnically diverse colleagues an opportunity to network, share experiences and develop their careers at Tesco.
The BAME network is a collaboration of established 'ABC' (African, Black, Caribbean) network and Asian network. This collaboration gives the network the opportunity to become even more inclusive by recognising all colleagues from ethnic backgrounds.
Our Vision, Objectives and Goals
Along with the communities we serve, our workplace is becoming more diverse. So, by sharing our cultural differences and what matters to us, we begin not only to respect each other, but we create an inclusive environment for all. When people feel included, they are more likely to be themselves.
If we can gain the courage to ‘be ourselves’ then we are more likely to perform better and not worry about hiding anything. That’s not only good for Tesco, but good for our own self-esteem too.
The BAME colleague network aims to make a difference by raising awareness of diversity, culture and inclusion within Tesco. We want to support and encourage BAME colleagues to develop their careers with Tesco, and ensure Black Asian Minority Ethnics in the wider community know that Tesco is a great place to work.
Our Objectives and focus
• Develop a National Network where all minorities are welcome
• Creating a programme that colleagues from an ethnic background feel a part of and benefit from
• The Network helps Tesco to serve customers from all background and communities a little better everyday
As part of National Inclusion Week, we’ve launched a new supporting guide for colleagues – What it takes to be a great ally.
As managers, it’s so important that we lead by example and make every individual colleague feel welcome, and we’ve already encouraged teams to explore having more open and honest conversations around diversity and inclusion through our conversation guide and glossary.
Being an ally means being there for others, and not being afraid to challenge situations or behaviours. Even if you don’t identify as a member of one of our colleague networks, you can still show your support as a member and an active ally to help empower other colleagues. Here our colleague Freddie talks about what it means to be an great ally at Tesco.
Black History Month celebrations.
To celebrate Black History Month, BAME at Tesco Network held some amazing events across Head Office, Stores and Social Media.
• There was a main cover story and full feature in our 't magazine' for Celebrating Black History Month, featuring colleague stories and achievements
• Jason Tarry, BAME Executive Sponsor, held virtual focus groups to better understand some of the challenges that our black, Asian and ethnic minority colleagues face
• Across the business we hosted Colleague Listening & Drop in Sessions
'If you are looking for an employer who treats you well, while developing yourself & contributing to many interesting projects, Tesco Technology is definitely the place for you."
"We have a diverse team, everyone is treated the same & I know that everyone is welcome at Tesco, we are all encouraged to be ourselves."