Location: Welwyn Garden City AL7 1GA
Apply by: 30/12/2022
Welwyn Garden City AL7 1GA
The Infrastructure Engineering team design, develop, implement, and operate all infrastructure used by Tesco Technology across our data centres, offices, stores, and distribution centres. This encompasses multiple domains; private and public cloud, connectivity, end-user computing, CI/CD, and monitoring toolkit. This includes both 3rds party and internally developed infrastructure applications and infrastructure that support the wider Tesco business.
As part of wider Infrastructure Team, Networks Transport Team design, develop, implement, and operate all Network and Security infrastructure technologies that facilitate both Infrastructure and the rest of Tesco Technology.
Key activities include:
· Designs, develops, implements, and operates the large-scale, high-capacity and highly resilient infrastructure solutions that allow the rest of Infrastructure, Technology development teams and business colleagues to consume Networks and Security Service.
· Setting the strategy, objectives, and high-level plans for Networks Infrastructure Service to best deliver requirements of Tesco Technology and thus the business.
· Defining and continually overseeing standards and simplification across the entire Networks estate.
· Driving innovation through transformation and Continual Service Improvement.
· Evaluating partners, software and hardware and finding the right mix to deliver the Technology and ultimately, business strategy.
· Designs, develops, implements, and operates Networks solutions in line with modern automation technologies where possible through self-service APIs. These solutions will allow Networks and rest of Infrastructure to be consumed in a controlled, auditable, and repeatable manner, automatically handling failure seamlessly.
· Designing, delivering, implementing, and operating new and re-usable infrastructure solutions to meet both technological, financial, and business requirements. Collaborate with, and advise, development teams, to create appropriate infrastructure solutions to facilitate both their and ultimately the business requirements.
· Work as a key member of an engineering team who is an aspiring expert in a technical specialism.
· Suggest improvements to processes and methodologies to speed delivery.
· Question requirements and challenge where necessary.
· Demonstrate knowledge of other areas to collaborate outside of your domain.
· Demonstrate knowledge of the latest technology trends related to Infrastructure.
· Understand how Industry trends impact their area.
· Be recognized Network Automation specialist.
· Prepare and maintain technical documents & presentations for systems engineering and system operations.
· Participate on designing of solutions and deliver them using existing Infrastructure components. Where new infrastructure technologies are being introduced, implement them, and establish best practice for their adoption. Resolve incidents that have not been seen before and initiate change to ensure that issues can be easily dealt with in future.
· Deliver in high quality in a timely manner.
· Evaluate new tools and techniques being able to understand their value and impact.
· Understand current application development techniques (12 factor app, agile, sprints) and their implications to infrastructure.
· Collaborate with own team members and with wider infrastructure teams to understand their requirements and assist them consuming Infrastructure in the most seamless way possible.
· Ensure that my own designs are of a high quality and understand the impacts to any other areas of infrastructure.
· Keep my technical skills up to date and keep track of new technologies, understanding how they might benefit the Technology team and wider Tesco.
· Introduce automation to all aspects of my day-to-day work.
· Proficient in spoken and written English and comfortable communicating with leaders and engineers.
This role will best suit an individual who enjoys working as part of a team, is well organised, pragmatic and a lateral thinker with an inquisitive mind who is motivated to learn quickly and to make change for the better and, most importantly, puts our customers first.
Skills / Experience Required
Required Technology Skills (Applicant should possess a min 3 of below)
Desired Technical Skills
Our vision here at Tesco is to become every customer's favourite way to shop online, whether they are at home, out shopping, on the move, anywhere in the world.
We want our customers to be inspired and whatever they are looking for, we’re finding bigger and better ways to provide it.
Everything is underpinned by our continuous drive for the best tools and technology to deliver our vision. We’re driving innovation and transforming our Technology to become the world’s leading e-commerce business.
We need people who share our ambition to deliver for our customers; Passionate and confident people willing to take the initiative and drive us forwards. In return we offer excitement, a great team, an excellent benefit package, and significant career development opportunities.
The position will be based at our Head Office, Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire. (However, staff have opportunity to work at other offices as well as their home where circumstances require. Staff will also be required to occasionally travel on business to other parts of UK and abroad where necessary).